One of the biggest challenges faced by the 4,000+ homeless citizens in Baltimore, is to maintain their personal hygiene. For many years, while serving on the front lines, we have heard the voices of our homeless brothers and sisters saying “If we can just have a place to take a warm shower, we will feel so much better and human again”. Most of the homeless go weeks without taking a shower simply because there are not enough resources for them to do so. With the Generosity Shower (mobile shower on wheels), we will make it possible for people experiencing homelessness in our community to have access to daily shower and by doing so help restore a sense of normalcy, dignity, while improving personal hygiene.
With the purchase of a 30ft trailer, our goal is to convert this trailer in to a mobile shower on wheels. We will retrofit the interior with shower stalls, toilets, sinks which will shower access to thousands of men, women and children who desperately need them.
There will be 8 shower stalls (4 for men and 4 for women). Initially, our plan is to operate 2 days a week for the pilot run. With enough operational funding, our goal is to scale the mobile shower service to 6 days a week.
• Provide a private, relaxing and safe place to shower for up to 150 people daily
• Health benefits – Improved sanitation and personal hygiene
• Emotional / Psychological Impact – make people beautiful, restore dignity & self-esteem
• Create jobs (individuals transitioning out of homelessness will be hired & trained to operate the mobile trailer)
• Transform lives and transform communities